View Single Post
Old 12-29-08, 01:03 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LWB_guy
yangmusa,
It doesn't look like wood. It looks like some plastic material. If I decide to go with an integrated (one-piece) seatback-seatbottom, I will defibitely replicate that black seat. It looks even more comfortable than what my adirondack chair seat back.

Is it?
How long can you sit in that seat, yangmusa, before it starts hurting? I"d be highly interested in any details you care to post. It looks like a real winner of a seat. I don't read German, so I gave up on the Zox website. I wonder how to take a mold of my back in order to make the seatback align with my back's natural curve perfectly? Maybe some quick setting glue, clear poly sheeting, and a huge pile of styrofoam peanuts?
I'm afraid I can't give you first hand info on the seat, all I know is from reading about it. It's definitely wood, it says so in the text and you can see it in some of the other pictures from behind. The top layer is closed cell foam (camping mat type stuff) that is cut away to aid airflow - apparently still quite warm though.

You could use Google's language tools to translate the website, but it only seems to work 2-3 pages deep. Hence you loose some detail.

I think laminated wood is shaped by steaming the wood until soft, then gluing layers together under pressure. Easy for production runs, but I don't know how one could replicate that at home.