Old 12-30-08, 09:24 PM
djnzlab1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too look at heartmonitors and speedometers

HI,
I found that we tend to be to hard on ourselves when we do less than expected and I tend to over train, I also forget that I am we bit older than I used to be , if I have a great day thats good If its windy and I stand on the pedals to do 15 MPH going home , thats a good work out too.
I ve noticed that heart rate can tell if your too tired on a ride, so if it races I slow down a bit. and let it recover I feel better too.
for me my target is 120 to 140, my catchup resting recovery is around 118.
If I am tired I hit 120 very quickly if I am having a really good day I can push 20 mph and barely make 120 so I pay attention to how I feel, I can sort of guess without even looking at the monitor based on my breathing and how I feel. If your legs are burning and your puffing a bit your pushing your limits..
I may leave the heart thing at home in the future, if you breathing to hard your working to hard.
If you can talk you probably in the green zone. If your building ,do intervals till your out of breath and then recover for a mile or two. each ride you'll find you can go farther faster if your getting enough rest.
doug

PS I too have done the Spinner on OFF days and find it help build that speed motor.
IF you spinning a bit on the bike I feel like its less effort to go fast than mashing pedals to go fast.
and you recover faster when your used to spinning versus mashing..

Last edited by djnzlab1; 12-30-08 at 09:29 PM.