Old 01-02-09, 05:28 AM
just4tehhalibut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent bloopers that you've learn't from

Obviously this would be something that you must have survived. Just curious as to what others have learnt the hard way, perhaps looking for a bit of wisdom on the cheap, someone else doing all the work.

Here's my contribution:
There's a section of pathway on my regular commute that involves hooning down a hill, turning onto another path at speed, hitting the anchors soon after and doing a sharp righthand turn into an dark underpass. You could top out at 50km/h down there, easy. One day I was doing this on my Greenspeed trike when I hit a bump as I came off the hill onto the path that feeds into the sharp turn. The chain dropped off the front chainring and being that I have a 63T ring up there a lot of chain slack happened, enough that it hit the ground in front of my rear tyre, got run over and tangled up around the wheel. Instead of a controlled brake I had a wild skid, skidding on a metal chain that is, heading towards a brick wall. Stopped just short but that was because I got my feet onto the ground to act as brakes. Took me half an hour to ease the chain off the wheel and untwist it all.
Moral of the story: always have a front derailleur or some chain keeper up front. It has saved me from some many other chain drop hiccups since.

What's yours?