Old 01-02-09, 01:24 PM
JamadianSparrow
CourierCombatVet,NYC'88

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Pro, Raleigh MtnSport, assorted franken-hybrids

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear View Mirrors-Periscope Method Possible?

Good day all,

I've dabbled w/rear view mirrors on and off over the years, mostly glasses and helmet mounted ones. I've always desired less knobs & things hanging of my bike so avoid handlebar types.

I've never liked the FRED-factor of most commercial glasses mounts(except the eyeglass dots) and even my own carefully shaped and wire arm shape experiments have left something to be desired.
The principle problem has ended up being backpacks & gear I carry often occlude the view! There just doesn't seem to be a cure-all.

Now, after seeing several of the state-of-the-art flight helmets for F-22, F-35 and Eurofighter jocks, with integrated HUDs and stereoscopic cameras I've gotten the inspiration.

Has anyone ever tried a persicope-type mirror that could reflect an image facing back from your helmet and bounce it in an arcing path along one's helmet contour, to hang it down over one's brow, like the flip down target sensors seen in sci-fi movies or as the current jet jock equipment carries?

I've been sketching prototypes to try and get nec. angles to do this. I'm not quite sure what kind of plastics or materials I'll use for a test bed but it will have to be pretty stiff to maintain a light path. I'm hoping a narrow, box strip that can thread thru my helmet air vents without requiring much material to be removed.

Anton