Thread: Nishiki value
View Single Post
Old 01-02-09, 05:00 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by golfer007
... he said he is 6 foot and can ride the Schwinn just fine ....

Overall height is secondary to leg length. I finally remembered where I saw a pic of two people standing side by side to each other, it was in an anthropology book. Both guys were the same overall height, but one had legs at least 4" longer than the other guy, one guy all legs, other guy all torso. Some people fit longer top tubes, others shorter top tubes. Standover height just helps to keep you from hurting yourself if you have to drop off the seat suddenly.

Also, that caveat emptor enters again, if the seller of the bent Nishiki is the same seller as another bike you're looking at I would personally be suspect of any claims about the other bike. If a seller says it just needs tubes/tires when the frame/fork are obviously bent, then what claims can be accepted about the other bike? Maybe the seller doesn't know that the frame and fork are bent, if so then that lends further caution to any claims made about the other bike. And if it's just a funny pic of the bike making it look bent, but it really isn't bent, then just ignore everything I just typed.