Old 12-29-04, 05:27 PM
ryan_c
troglodyte

Bikes: Crust Romanceur, VO Polyvalent, Surly Steamroller, others?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I would rather not get into too many details, as I don't want this to be another who-was-at-fault thread - I think we both were. To make a long story short, a guy turned right into a parking lot in front of me while I was spacing out, and I hit him / he hit me. Knocked me out of the pedals, hit my head on the ground (not wearing a helmet b/c I'm an arsehole) but that wasn't too bad, head pain was gone after a minute. Hit my knee somewhere in the process (pretty ugly at first, not so bad after I cleaned and dressed it), and the minivan ran over my right hand (two swollen fingers, no real bad pain, no pain w/ movement). I'm familiar with health care and first aid from school and boy scouts (don't laugh ).
Assessment of the situation: He turned right w/o checking his mirror, I should have been paying much better attention but was distracted. I did not have a front reflector or light on my bike, and it was getting dark out. I had no helmet or brakes (try explaining that to the police... I don't think so). I have a slightly tacoed 27" front wheel that I paid $15 for and am building a new wheelset anyway, relatively minor physical injuries, and I messed up his minivan pretty bad. Real bad, actually. Big dent and gash - at least two panels that he's going to have to repair. We traded contact info and he gave me a ride home, we called it a draw.

I wish it hadn't happened, but once I throw a new wheel on and the swelling is gone I think I'll be fine, and hopefully a bit more aware. I have a newfound appreciation for helmets, for sure.

Looks like I'll spend a few days off the bike, maybe even a week or two.