Old 01-03-09, 10:59 PM
jboyd

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going "Old School" sorta. Opinions needed

Today I rode a GT "Peace 9er", 29" mountain bike and REALLY enjoyed it. It came stock with some very nice components, but it is kinda "Old School" with the rigid fork. Since I have all but stopped unlocking, I think this might be a good option for me. I ride probably 70% road and 30% trail. Two bikes is not an option right now. I am planning on getting a 29er in the next couple of months.

So, I ask: How would you view the Shock fork vs Rigid? The cost of this bike has me interested ( <$900), especially with the components that it comes with. I think the reason they were able to use the better pieces is because the expense of the shock fork is not there. Oh, and I am crazy about the color. It looks 10x better in real life then the pic.

I currently ride a 2006 Giant Rainier. It has pretty nice components and the front shock is great, if I were 50# lighter. When I ride trail, and unlock the fork, it takes nothing for me to bottom out. And, the amount of extra energy that it takes to power when the fork is unlocked is mind numbing to me. The last several rides I have taken, I don't even bother to unlock. I let my arms be my shocks.

My current ride

Thanks
Jay

Last edited by jboyd; 01-03-09 at 11:15 PM.