Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
+2 Make it a sticky.

My rules on fixing and flipping:

1. Assume you're going to have to replace tyres and tubes. Budget a minimum of $40.00 for that operation.
2. Plan on tearing the bike down to the last nut and bolt, re-greasing everything, and reassembling.
3. Don't expect to make money on your labor. If you've come out ahead after initial purchase (purchase?) and parts, you've made money.
4. Don't upgrade anything, unless you're planning on fixing the bike for personal use.
5. Used parts rule. The guy who run the re-cycle bicycle shop is your best friend.
6. Take any bike that isn't a WalMart bike - if it's free. Even if it's in wretched shape, it can be used to build up your replacement parts stock. And the frame can always be sold to someone who wants to build a fixie.
I'll take a free Walmart bike - if the cables, housings, chain, tires and tubes are good. They are a good source for consumables.

I think the number 1 rule for flipping is "know your market". You need to know what the junker you're looking at will sell for, so that when you calculate the cost involved with replacing parts (labor HAS to be counted as free, as others have said) you actually make a buck or two.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 01-05-09 at 12:10 PM.