Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I moved twice.

I lived in Calgary's urban sprawl, and drove a lot. Go to work? Drive a car. Go shopping? I don't want to cycle into one of those parking lots.

Then Toronto. More bike lanes. Way better public transit. I do home reno and was often able to quickly get stuff to the jobsite using the car, then commute by bike for the rest of the job, picking up small items and backpacking them if I needed to. Weekends spent riding to the beach or through the ravines. Car sat idle for weeks at a time.

Now The Hague. Cars aren't very practical here. Inside the city is way faster by bike. Parking a car looks nightmarish. The trams run everywhere and frequently. Trains to other cities are cheap, (at least inside the NL), fast and comfortable. I can ride a dedicated bike lane on my practical Dutch bike with a whole sheet of 60cm x 200cm x 10mm of drywall tucked under my arm, surfboard style. Building supply places deliver if necessary. People carry stuff around on bikes here. Weekends? Hop on the bike. Ride along the coast on dedicated bike roads.

For me, the transition was comfortable. I never look at a car and wish I had one. They're just not very useful here.