View Single Post
Old 12-30-04, 07:04 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leo C. Driscoll
OK, closetbiker. Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble ;-)

To the authors of this highly biased "FAQ" ( http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/hfaq.html) I would repeat Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan's axiom, "Everyone is entitled to his [her] own opnion, but not to his [her] own facts."

The following facts are based on analysis of data from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Fatality Analysis Reporting System:

660 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2002. This is 9 percent fewer than in 2001 and down 34 percent since 1975.
Bicycle deaths are most likely to occur in summer and fall. Deaths are most likely to occur on Fridays. The peak time is 6-9 pm.
Eighty-five percent of bicyclists killed in 2002 reportedly weren't wearing helmets.
Twenty-three percent of bicyclists killed in 2002 had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 or greater

I guess the only stat that really surprises me is the extent of alcohol involvement - on the part of the bicyclists.