View Single Post
Old 12-31-04, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 22,537
Mentioned: 596 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4406 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2,379 Times in 1,546 Posts
Originally Posted by kenneth wise
mr. t mar,
while in the process of restoring my "signature" Ross bike from the ground up i've encountered something that needed adressed and need your professional advice on it. seems like some clown has taken a dremel tool or something to the face of the front derailer from one end of it to the other, (major eyesore!) to me the face of it is ruined as a result and needs rechromed. problem is the thing has rivited style pins that hold it on the bracket (2) and to remove them would entail drilling out the heads of the rivit style pins, which i can do but where would i get the pins to replace the ones that id drill and/or the gizmo to re-flair the ends of the pin back when i put new pins back in it? i'm considering just sending it to somebody (campy repair shop?) and having it "professionally" done but dont know of any people who specialize in these style repairs. i'm a do it yourselfer but dont want to hose this up. any advice on who is the man for the job?
thanks for the help.
Professional advice! Does this mean I'm going to get paid? Ha! Ha! Just kidding.

Fortunately, Campagnolo makes small parts available for most of their components. I know you could get the rivets for the older Nuovo and Super Record components through most good bicycle shops. I suspect the Triomphe front derailleur probably used the same rivet pins. Peening the rivets is relatively simple. All you need is a ballpeen hammer. A blow with the flat end of a hammer the causes the shank to swell and grip against the hole in the cage. It should also burr/mushroon the protruding edge. Then you strike around the burred outside edge of the rivet with the ball end of the hammer. This rounds the head of the rivet. The trick is to have a support of the appropriate thickness on the backside which allow the rivet shank to protrude equal distances on both sides when you are forming the first head. The steel used for the rivet pins is relatively soft, so it's not as difficult as you may think. If you need more info, try a web search on 'rivet peening'.

The other alternative is to use a roll pin (a.k.a. spring pin or split pin). This is a hollow steel pin that has a cut along the length, allowing the diameter to be varied a limited amount. The ends of the pins are bevelled allowing them to be driven into a slightly smaller hole. As they are driven in, the diameter compresses and the elasticity of the pin material causes a force fit. The pins come in various lengths and diameters and are selected based on the required length and the size of hole they are to fit. A good industrial supply house should stock them.
T-Mar is offline