Old 01-12-09, 09:12 AM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dropping friends

Oh Boy..This has a deja vu ring to it.
After pretty much being the B group leader on morning club rides for several years, I underwent bypass surgery and came out a lot stronger.
What I didn't take into consideration was " the main body of the B group was older than I and was slowing down year by year"
About july of last season it became apparent I was unintentionally dropping the group. I'd ease into a cadence I felt comfortable with and all of a sudden I was at 15 and the rest were struggling at 13.
The situation got heated. I caught more than a bit of the heat.(and no one else really wanted to lead the slow group)
This year the club is switching over to dedicated morning rides. Monday will be one of 4 routes
Tuesday one of four,etc. etc.
That way everyone (A riders, the riders between the A and B and the B riders) will now all know where everyone is going on a regular basis.

As for dropping folks. I built up a 81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist with single front chainring and 14-28 oem rear freewheel. This IS a casual ride bike,and as of late last season,it was working perfectly as a 13mph ride.

That said: There ARE folks who-the slower you go the slower they go- and at some point you have to take the lead and set a pace they can do and must do if they want to ride with the group. No pain no gain.