View Single Post
Old 01-13-09, 12:54 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with what you people are saying about the problems of flats. I'd certainly think about buying some for my Strida knock off. The tyres it is fitted with are kind of low pressure, though I'm riding them a lot harder than the sidewall says. I had a puncture from a piece of glass a couple of weeks back and I'd only done about sixty miles on the bike from new. I was thinking of looking into some marathons, but they're not sure to resist glass. I emailed the UK tyre maker linked to above and when I find an outlet, I'll see what they cost. Maybe the factory will sell direct. I also need to measure the bead width of the rim. These tyres are very fussy about that since you can't just blow them out to fit.

The manufacturers are claiming that the tyres are as light or lighter than regular ones, and ride well. I've seen comments that they are squishy, but you never know what make of tyre these comments refer to. These polyurethane mixes can be made to have different pressure characteristics too. I'd love to hear from someone who'd ridden the new types that are on sale.