Old 01-13-09, 01:50 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Yeah, but as werewolf said those pressure characteristics are directional whereas air pressure is isotropic.

However, since they can be made harder than pneumatics they do seem to dovetail nicely with the Moulton design philosophy: Optimize the wheels for a glass smooth surface and design a dedicated suspension to translate that performance onto rougher surfaces.

Why compromise on ride quality and performance with the soft ones when you can get a win win situation by using the hardest ones available on a bike with dedicated suspension?
Yes - that's the compromise of all our small wheeled non-suspension bikes, and Moulton sort of solved it. The manufacturers of these say they can make them in any kind of pressure profile from 10 psi to well over 100psi. I think it's all a matter of how much gas they have inside the mix when they spin the polyurethane fluid into the moulds.

I'm not sure exactly what effect the directional Vs isotropic reaction would have on the rolling tyre. I think we should bear in mind that when the makers say they simulate various psi, they mean it rides 'like' whatever psi they say. I'm guessing a bit there though.

Originally Posted by rhm
Interesting point.

I'd also be concerned, intuitively, that non-pneumatic tires would be hard on the spokes, and might not grip the road as well, especially when cornering at relatively high speed. (BWDIK)
Why do you think they would be hard on the spokes? I'm sort of supposing that an airless tyre rated at 55psi rides somewhat like a 55psi pneumatic with similar reaction to road imperfections and load.

I'd quite like to try one on the back of my Strida Knock off if they are under about £20. I really hate having to dismount and walk with a flat tyre.