View Single Post
Old 01-14-09, 09:49 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2, I'm always suspicious of invoking the ancestral noble savage as an evolutionary model. I think paleontology supports the notion that life for our ancestors was harsh, brutal, and short, no matter how much C10 they generated scrounging around for food. I thought that section was pretty BSy.
Before reading this book, my thoughts were this: Prehistoric man lived to about age 30. How could evolutionary adaptations be relevant to someone who is 55 years old?!

However, the book made me realize that the basic mechanisms of the body are still active in an old person like me, even though most died at a much younger age back then.

There is basically one thing that the book describes concerning evolution, etc:

When you are sedentary, your body takes it as a signal that it is winter. There is no game to be chased. As a result, it stores fat, and lets those pesky high-metabolism muscles atrophy.

When you exercise a lot, your body takes it as a signal that it is spring/summer/fall. The muscles are needed cause you're going to need to chase some food. You do not need the fat, because food abounds.

IOW, the only way to communicate with your body to tell it not to decay is to exercise hard. Even though that mechanism evolved for 20 year olds, it still works in 50-90 year olds.