Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
I think a STRIDA is the bike for you.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=467153

There is a cheaper copy also. Ask EvilV.
I wanted to say that too, but was put off by the lady's dislike of small wheels.

The Strida is tiny and light weight. I am not familiar with Central Park, but have got the view from somewhere that NY is pretty flat. The Strida has only one gear so you wouldn't want to be riding it up those hills in SF I have seen on TV

I have to tell you, I wrote some stupid things about stridas before I rode one - how it was a clown bike and so on. I am ashamed of my ignorance now. The design is great; it is so compact as to be beyond wonderful, it weighs (by comparison to my other bikes) next to nothing, and it is a lot of fun.

It handles in a less frisky way than my Brompton copy. Now when I ride that, I feel uneasy for the first few minutes. You can also get strida now in a smaller size - I think it's called the mini.

Also - for apartment living, you really need something that will fold up small, or be small when it isn't folded. There is no more compact AND ridable bike than the strida. Also, the fold is so fast and easy that you won't be deterred from folding it up. It literally takes a few seconds to turn it into something the size of a set of golf clubs.

All I can say is try out a strida, but make sure they adjust the seat height properly for you so you get a fair idea of what it is like when properly set up. If you don't like it, then it cost you nothing, and if you do, you'll have a lot of fun.

PS - in considering anything I say about Stridas - please be advised that I only have a knock off and not a real one.

Last edited by EvilV; 01-17-09 at 06:51 AM.