Old 01-17-09, 04:44 PM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cliff's East Bay Hills Ride Report

Thanks Cliff for organizing this one. It was my first time doing the loop this way, I liked it a lot.

Wildcat was easier than I thought, it's actually a great mind booster, the higher you are the easier it gets.

We met at the Orinda BART station as well as many other rides so it got confusing at some point of who was riding with our group. Our own Beaker and ROJA went on a different ride up to Diablo. Cliff, our leader for the day, Pete, Rich, Curtis, and myself left around 9:15 north on San Pablo Dam Road and then up Wildcat Canyon. We regrouped at Inspiration Point for the photo op and then down to Tilden where we met Dan.

The steepest hill of the ride, Shasta, followed. This one is scarier on paper than on the wheels, the steep section is very, very short but provides for a nice little sprint. Grizzly Peak with its ups and downs is always nice but the facing sun and the pretty bad pavement made the descents a bit uneasy.
After a stop on Skyline we tagged along to Redwood for a fun, fast, and safe downhill. The Mavic Cosmics arrive first at the bottom.

The ride ended with a small climb up Pinehurst and through Moraga where I split from the group for the ride back home.

After a low mileage Fall I finally hit the saddle the last couple of weeks, mainly on the trainer though. Yet I felt very fresh today so I pushed myself. I was a bit dizzy when I arrived home, lack of fuel. Trainer work is very efficient.

I ended up with 39 miles and 3,600' of climbing.

Last edited by gpelpel; 01-17-09 at 04:51 PM.