Thread: Tabata Protocol
View Single Post
Old 01-18-09, 04:13 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by nafun
Care to enlighten me?
I'm sorry about my flippant response, I realize in hindsight that it was in poor taste.

The OP posted a response from someone that basically said "expect recovery and threshold to go up, but don't expect endurance, etc".

The original study was a one shot deal and as part of a scientific experiment they were looking for repeatability and good science. Hence their strict adherence to 170% of FTP (plus also doing them 5 times a week). While I don't think anyone in their right mind would say "if you only do these intervals five days a week, and nothing else, you'll be a successful racer" however, the training adaptation that a person interested in racing is probably most interested in will occur by just doing these intervals "all out" once or twice a week. Being concerned about hitting XX wattage and trying to target xx of FTP is over analyzing the training benefit and missing the point. The benefit is the body's adaptation to being able to have a quick recovery and that they will also increase your power. The point is developing the ability to go balls to wall when you need to in a race.

If you do them "all out" they will hurt. They will wipe you out in 5 minutes time and leave you on the carpet begging for mercy if you do them "all out". But they'll make you stronger and when you're in a race and that moment comes, you'll have that arrow in your quiver if you do them.

Now, please understand. I'm just a pack fodder cat3 with nothing to really speak of in terms of results, but I'm strong and fit, and I consider these intervals a crucial training regimen for racing. But, I just race for fun and in the hope of helping one of my teammates grab the glory.

That article I linked at the top of this page can explain it in more detail if you're still not convinced. And if you're still not convinced, PM me your email address and I'll put you in touch with a few guys who study this stuff for a living that are convinced they have benefit to racing (hey one of those PhD's I'm referring to did his first crit in 20 years yesterday after doing tabata's for the last two months and he said he felt that they were a big boon to his fitness).