Old 01-04-05, 03:36 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jerrryhazard
He needs to give a set of Nokians the same test before he can make an accurate comparison, but I'm sure they would fare better. I bet that the large amounts of asphalt he rides will cause some unexpected wear, and I also would wager that the amount of ice he actually encountered was negligible.
That's the whole point. "The large amounts of asphalt he rides" will not wear down quality studs / tyres the same way. If there are sections on his route that really require studded tyres, he can ride studded and not worry about wear and tear on the non-icy sections. The only noticeable drawback will be added rolling resistance.

I am running a set of Nokian W106s for the fourth winter in a row. I put them on when it gets icy and keep them on until spring. So they have seen their share of dry asphalt during the years, but they still have good grip. And I ride safer, because I don't have to guess every morning whether riding conditions today will be bad all the way, or just the usual bad spots, or perhaps the usual bad spots with some unexpected ones thrown in.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines