View Single Post
Old 06-12-02, 04:50 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
hey guys i really appreciate you guys taking time to post suggestions/advice.

the main thing is that i really do not have space for another bike, and if i was to buy a new bike i would need to sell my giant, and i know that i can't get too much for it probably since it's so entry level and i paid like 250 for it in 96 but now with 250 you can get a much nicer bike.

sub 25lbs is really my goal.. i think i will keep the chromoly frame and fork, then change everything else... like headbar, handle bar, seat, pedals/components, brake levers (think it's ok to use my cantilever brakes right now? its an entry level shimano...), new shifter(whatever you call it, the whole works), but i think i will keep my wheels and gearing. can i shave off 5-7lbs off my bike by just swapping those parts over? what other weight reduction mods are there?

i am almost certain that this is the route i will go, but i would love to ride a rockhopper or gary fisher... i just dont have that kind of money for a new bike. as for swapping the components/parts on my bike, i will look for lightweight as main priority, and i know some lightweight parts are relatively cheap compared to the rest of the market that's maybe a little more cosmetic or hardcore oriented.

should i keep my wheels/tires? will i save weight if i swap those out? i am really concerned with my brakes.. are cantilever brakes heavier or lighter than v brakes? is it worth the swap now that most bikes out there have v brakes? i can't wait to get my bike set up.

if there is any reason i should not do such to my bike, please tell me the logic of why not, etc, because i really am just a newbie. i kno for the money i will spend it's better to get a new bike, but that's not an option =]

thanks