Old 01-05-05, 06:39 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
After hearing the news on Monday afternoon about Brian Mock being charged, I again viewed the video that was taken by one of the TV news people shortly after the accident. It shows the road crew cleaning up the bikes and debris in the road. Mock's bike was already lying by the side of the road and had a headlight (still on) and what looked like an LED light on the handlebar. I am guessing that if he had two lights on the front that he would have had one or more lights or blinkies on the rear. The video doesn't show Tony Serrano's bike very well. It just shows the road crew person dragging a crumpled bike to the side of the road with what appears to be a "water bottle" style battery dangling from the wire. A battery would indicate lights on his bike as well.
The video also shows the right turn arrows painted on the roadway. I'm guessing that both cyclists were "informed riders" and knew that the right turn lane was for right-turning vehicles only. Since they were going straight, they should have been in the right-most through lane, which it seems is where they were positioned.
One of my colleagues is going to the accident scene today to determine the width of the road. If the lane is too narrow to share, then taking the lane (which is what they appeared to be doing) was the correct thing to do.
If both bikes had headlights and taillights/reflectors, then in my opinion, this would not put the fault on Brian Mock.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.