Old 01-25-09, 05:48 AM
thespacerockkid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 Schwinn Varsity single speed project

I have a bike that was pretty much given to me, a budget 2006 Schwinn Varsity. I don't ride it mainly because the way it is stock. The gears and shifter suck and I don't have much use for them as I rarely do any fast or heavy duty hill work. I would really enjoy this bike if I wasn't bothered with shifting and having to be worried with the various speeds. I searched and found a guy on velospace who took this same model and turned it into a single speed, while single handedly turning it into a cool "hipster" looking setup with what seems like pretty much stock parts. I am a novice when it comes to bikes and all these things but I am interested in turning my bike into roughly the same if not similar setup, i.e. a single speed conversion of this same model bike. Can anyone help me with this? I need someone to help point me in the right direction as far as parts, tools and any other suggestions. While I am a bicycle novice, I do however know a little bit about mechanics and feel I can work my way through it. Also, I see this as a learning experience so I am not looking to completely scrap this bike simply because it may be easier to convert something else. If I can do it for less, if not roughly the same price as converting something easier or completely purchasing a new bike, I would rather work with this regardless of how "difficult" it may be. Any help?

Bike From Velospace Page (the same stock model as mine):
http://velospace.org/node/2424

Schwinn Varsity single speed project (what I am going for)...

My Setup Stock...