JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by crock
My poor old Sidi shoes from 1988 slit up so I am trying to mount a set of platform pedals on the bike to ride around until I find a replacement. I took off my Time pedals (original version) and the Welgo pedals did not want to thread in. I got the threads in 2-3 turns and the resistance was so high I was afraid I could strip the threads. Is there more than one thread type for pedals? I thought all premium pedals since the 60's used the same 9/16 inch thread. I used to have Campy NR pedals in these cranks with no problems so I don't think it is a specific French thread kind of problem.
Although it would be unusual to find a metric thread crank from the late 1980s, both Zeus and TA offered metric (14 x 1.25M) threaded crack arms for a long time -- maybe TA still does. What were your old pedals? Any markings on the pedal spindle? Any markings on the back side of the TA arms? I seem to recall that a "W" mark near the square spindle hole indicated French thread, but I can't find any confirmation of this in my Sutherland's. All my TA cranks have the "W" but I know I retapped some or all of them from metric to English over the years as the supply of metric pedals dwindled.