View Single Post
Old 01-27-09, 02:34 PM
Mike Mills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miamijim
At the bottom of my prefered greases. If it sits too long the oils seperate out and Phil grease dries out and clumps if it isnt changed out very frequently. When I was in the buisness we ordered it by the case in those tubes you put into 'guns' so i have plenty of experience with it.

I'm with Sixty Fiver.....I use red colored Mobil 1 synthetic grease. You can get a tub of it from Pep Boys for ~$12. Before the auto grease haters chime in with the usual high temp/hi pressure buisness I'll state that red Mobile 1 is a low viscoisty grease in compariosn to regular automotive wheel bearing grease.

High temperature greases are needed in bicycle wheels. I couldnt count the number of bearing I've seen that have changed color due to heat.

Dont drink the bicycle Kool Aide. Bicycles specific lubes and greases are the single biggest marketing rip offs ever.

WOW!

I've never had a separation problem with Phil grease or the less expensive waterproof Marine Grease. Almost any grease left in the sun to get hot will weep a bit.

I've never seen or heard of the clumping, either.

I've never seen wheel bearings that changed color from internal heating. I've seen cups and cones that still had some coloration from factory tempering.

I think we all agree that bulk pack greases and oils are better than bicycle specific greases (if there were such a thing). The only reason to buy a bicycle-specific grease or oil might be to get a special applicator if it comes packaged that way. A needle-point oiler would be an example of a specialty package that's worth buying (at the right price).