Old 01-29-09, 08:26 PM
bicycleflyer
747 Freight Pilot

Bikes: Rivendell, Bike-Friday Pocket-Rocket and one home made fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My silca has been good too. I replaced the valve head with a topeak model. I actually had the topeak valve head (kit) installed on the Silca's predecessor, so I did not have to purchase it. I know the last thing you would want to do after dropping 40 bucks on a pump is spend another 20 on a valve head kit. My point was that you can replace those things. My only real problem with the Silca is the tiny pressure guage is all the way down on the floor. My 40 something eyes arn't what they used to be.

I also have a Park PFP-3 and can recommend it without hesitation. In fact I tend to favor the park model over my Silca because the guage is larger, higher, and easier to read. I just wished it was top mounted. But halfway sure is better than on the floor. I now keep the Silca in the back of the car and the Park in my shop.

Specialized is another model to consider. I bought one as a gift for my little brother. It had one of those "smart-heads" that has worked flawlessly. He does not take as good a care of his gear as I do, but that pump is going strong. The only thing I have against it is the guage is too low for me.. But he is young and it is no problem for him.

Rebuild kits are available for all the models listed above.