Old 01-30-09, 01:48 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
you have a limited understanding of the law. her guilty plea has nothing to do with the abhorrent manner in which she was apprehended.

And cops that behave in that manner can hardly be trusted with regards the initial charges. One can imagine how much intimidation she might have received prior to her guilty plea. Here in Boston we had some cops shoot the wrong guy, when they figured it out they tossed an unregistered, unlicensed hand gun under his car. It was pretty much accepted by every one until the victim's wife approached a lawyer who was a former decorated Boston cop, who smelled a rat and successfully sued the city of Boston.

Any cop as stupid as these three could just as likely carry a small amount of cocaine for just such an occasion and with proper intimidation, a court appointed attorney and enough naivete on the part of the woman arrested she'll plead guilty just to get out of there.

The US has the best judicial system in the world but I think we kid ourselves when we turn our heads when it fails and, from what's obvious from this video, in this case- it did.

These cops deserve to be fired at the very least and the woman deserves to be reasonably compensated for such an assault done under the cover of "law enforcement."
Uhmm, no, I have an all too good understanding of the law. Not to pull rank, but as a lawyer that practices civil litigation, much of it personal injury, I would not take this case.

Not because I don't believe she was wronged, but because of the practicalities of the case. As a lawyer, I have to convince a jury to give this woman money. Juries don't like to give crack heads and convicted felons money, sorry, but thats the reality of the legal system.

If the cops beat her so badly she was in a wheelchair or horribly disfigured, then yes, the outrageous behavior of the cops could win her sympathy and a jury might give her money. Yes, she got her neck stepped on and kicked in the face, but it would be hard to find a jury to give her money even based on those facts.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1