Thread: which kit
View Single Post
Old 01-30-09, 10:01 PM
Mondoman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In general, I agree with the above. However, in the special case where you can pick up a relatively minimal bike-specific tool kit for a low price (e.g. $35), it's worth considering as long as you will be making use of most of those bike-specific tools. I was able to do so with a Sette Torx ST-21 tool kit for under $35, but I wouldn't buy it for the current $47 price.

So far, I've used the chain whip, cone wrenches, pedal wrench, bottom-bracket tool, cassette tool, crankarm puller and chain tool from the kit; the allen wrenches, screwdriver, and tire irons have come in handy as well, but you'd probably want better quality ones for "shop" use. In any case, I've used all but one or two of the tools in the kit, so I got good value for my money. I've been working on 1990 through current low-to-mid-end mountain bikes, mostly with square-taper BBs, and all the wheel hubs I've overhauled have been standard Shimano models.

Additional tools I've found to be essential are a pair of beam-type torque wrenches covering the full torque range on bikes (you can use more expensive TRs, too, but make sure they can apply torque in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions), metric hex-key sockets in short and long lengths to fit the TRs and my ratchets, a Torx T-25 socket for disc brakes, and a good cable/housing cutter.