View Single Post
Old 02-01-09, 07:11 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by RecceDG

But as I pay more and more attention to pictures of roadies and their bikes, it looks like most of you rarely spend any time in the drops, and the preferred position is to grip the hoods.

So I'm a little confused - it doesn't look like there's enough leverage to really use the brakes on the hoods. I suppose one can shift from that position... but it doesn't look easy. And with the hoods up that far, the brake levers seem too far away to work well in the drops.

So what gives? What is the proper relationship between bars and levers? How is it supposed to work?

DG
What gives?

Well to be honest beginners luck worked out for you OK and you just worked out what works without worrying about fashion. It could do with a little adjustment but don't get too worried. Its pretty good already so you don't need to make things worse by following fashion.

So why are experienced roadies gripping the hoods?

The answer is because of Machismo fashion. Its the Macho fashion to have your handlebars set as low as possible to impress all and sundry that your a "serious" racer and even the real racers get sucked into this. The problem of course is that now the drops are really too low so they all hold on to the hoods instead

Don't buy into it. Set up your bars so that you are comfortable in the drops as it is easier to use the levers from the drops. The hoods are supposed to be an easier, take it easy position. I think your lever position could do with some refinement but that will come with time. Don't sweat it.

Anthony