Old 02-02-09, 06:36 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KJColumbo
I didn't make it either. Great effort though Clifton. You outlasted me by far. I watched a disc of Band of Brothers in the garage, and was bored out of my mind. I could have gone longer, but I couldn't take it. I ended with about 2:45, 50 miles, on a mag trainer one click up from no resistance. I kinda feel like crap today though. I haven't been on a biks since late October, plus I was working on breaking in a new B17 and had made some tweeks to the Raleigh.
I think 50 miles on a trainer after a 3 month hiatus is pretty good, especially trying to break in a new saddle. We need to remember that to do 100 miles on the trainer, is similar to doing 100 miles on the road. With a couple of notable exceptions, first is that you don't have to carry your supplies, in that you have the tap handy, and the cupboard and the fridge... Although if your normal, summer road century process is to keep a stash of gu in your back pocket, and slurp one of those down every 20 miles, nothing wrong with doing that as well. Your also a little less likely to flat.

One thing to remember a century does not have to mean continuous saddle time, if you ride 50 miles to your in-laws, help your father-in-law figure out how to install a new chain on his comfort bike, then ride the 50 miles home, it's still a century. So if you get really bored, get off for a while, do something else, then continue on.....

My first week on the trainer gave me a total of 10km, also after a 3 month hiatus...... I like to start very slow and then ramp things up quickly, should be to a century before June, so that might actually be a road century..... Although considering that I am in a metric country, a century is 100km, not 100 miles.....

Clyde cyclists should love metric, you go almost twice as far and weigh only half as much