View Single Post
Old 02-03-09, 11:20 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seenoweevil
My average keeps coming up between 11-13 mph. I was getting frustrated at first, but after thinking about it I really only care because I'd like to get in more miles in a little less time for the fitness aspect, and I'd like to get stronger to finally try some group rides with a local club. I still haven't contacted them because of my insecurity with my fitness level.
One more thing. After a bicycling fatality in a neighboring city during the $4/gal gas phase, a local lbs owner (don't know who it was, but I sure wish I did so I'd never go there) told the news person that people shouldn't be on the roads on their bikes with automobile traffic if they couldn't maintain at least 15 mph. I know that is bull, and I'm incensed that someone could say something that insensitive and (in my opinion) completely incorrect, but I still find myself trying to reach that average at the end of the ride.
You might try and see if you local club has a social ride. Our Saturday ride have lots of regroups and people of all speeds to ride with. New riders usually get a few folks riding back with them no matter what the pace. There may be some limit though I'm not sure what would happen with a 6-7mph rider but 10mph+ has never been a problem. If you like you could setup someone to call you a little bit into the ride so you can bail on the ride because something came up. Just think of it like dating
That 15mph thing wow. I am pretty sure the driver won't notice the difference between you going 10 or 15 when they are going 3x-5x your speed or more. I've probably ridden up a few hills at 4mph or less on roads where folks were going 60+mph talk I wonder what he'd say about me