View Single Post
Old 01-08-05, 11:46 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bike shows, motorcycle shows, boat shows, and car shows are about "what's new and what's possible". It allows the industry to showcase their technological achievements in a way that is intended to appeal to the masses, e.g., it's as much about providing entertainment is it is about educating and increasing awareness.

Each person who attends any of these shows can fall into any one of many categories and your respective comments reflect your dispositions.

The hard-core enthusiast may or may not have the means to acquire what they can see at these shows, but it doesn't diminish the interest. In fact, most of the dream machines that are purchased are purchased as status symbols, not because they are practical, efficient, or will be used for racing. Moreover, the people who buy dream cars don't usually finance them; they write a check. After all, a 10k mi tune up on a Ferrari is about $9k because it's not so much a tune up as it is a rebuild of the hand-built engine. If you can't afford the maintenance, you certainly can't afford the car.

However, also on display at these shows are the emerging technologies that address squewking out more MPG from fossil fuels (SmartCars) and alternative power sources such as hybrid's with gas/electric power plants and other new innovations. Many of these efficient cars are also affordable cars. Moreover, in most cases, it is the sales revenues from all those high-dollar / high margin vehicles that pay for the research and development that fund these new technologies.

Again, everyone who rides a bike does so for their own reasons. Being a cyclist or even a cycling advocate does not predispose either to be anti-car.

Just something to consider. BTW, I'll be heading over to the Cycle World Motorcycle Show at the Cobb Galleria Center this afternoon or this evening to check out the '05 motorcycle offerings. Why? Because I'm a motorcycle enthusiast. Will I be looking to replace my faithful and dependable '98 Honda CBR1100? No. It gets 39 mpg and meets my back and forth to work transporation needs quite well, thank you very much. And, even though it is still one of the fastest production motorcycles in the world, it rarely sees speeds over 65 m/ph on public roads. However, as an enthusiast, I can still grin from ear-to-ear while riding it because it it doesn't look like a scooter, it gets 39 m/pg, it "could" do 180 mph, and because it was something I could buy with a check, not on monthly installments.

My bicycles all fit into that same category. They meet my needs as a cyclist, my wants as an enthusiast AND fit within my budget. I grin from ear-to-ear when I ride them as well. No, I'm not rich, but I like bicycles and motorcycles. My cars aren't sexy, but they meet my needs... which include hauling bicycles around.

Ride what you like and like what you ride.

Last edited by livngood; 01-08-05 at 02:07 PM.