Old 01-08-05, 02:03 PM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrailRider
When asked he also stated he had a used Raleigh for $150. Even though that might be in rough shape, I'm thinking it might be most suitable just to see how much biking is going to appeal
I think that's a wise insight. One of the problem with buying articles like computers and bikes is that until you get some miles under your belt, you don't understand all of the parameters well - especially what you want. Even though you can (and should) make an informed judgement, it's not the same as having experienced your likes/dislikes on a long ride where it's physical - not intellectual. My goal was to spend no more than 1K on a mainstream road bike which I did, and I'm learning a tremendous amount (as well as having a lot of fun). But I know it isn't my "ultimate" bike; I'm still figuring that out. A $150 Raleigh might be a little extreme, but if you understand that you're going to learn a lot through the process, the approach makes sense.

Just make sure that you get a good fit. I think that's really the critical thing.