Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelS
Eat more often. I did 2 hours 20 minutes today. While riding I ate several handfuls of preztels, and some low salt crackers. Lots of water. No trouble today, though I have had problems in the past.
Actually real food is the key. If you are solely relying on liquid supplements you will bonk. The stomach needs some content in it in order to retain water... otherwise the water and the electrolytes you added just sweat out.

For rides under 2 hours, no worries. After that, every 1/2 I GU (or a hand full of raisins, or fig bars whatever - doesn't take much - it just needs o tbe consistant). If your rides are 4 hours+ you just take in a meal like a PBJ sandwich or something.

And I can do all the right things on the ride and still bonk. It all starts with the day before. Be concious of what you eat the day before a ride. If your body hasn't processed the food properly (or there is no food to process properly) then is no glycogen store for you to rely on.

I used to have a friend who would drink the night away, show up for a ride with Starbucks and a sweet roll and wonder why he bonked 20 miles out.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.