Old 02-07-09, 12:15 PM
Hawaiiwrench

Bikes: '94 DB Apex, '07 SBC Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Your question was answered already in this forum- when Herbie mentioned the recall, he included a link to the US govt website that shows how to tell if you have an affected crank arm.

From the linked site:

For future reference, there is a Recall Announcements forum here on BF.

If you go to an LBS that is a Shimano-authorized repair center, it takes about a week to get the new parts and have them installed, all free-of-charge to the bike owner.

I have the recalled cranks on one of my bikes; it will be replaced by my LBS eventually but until then I'm not riding that bike. The hangup in my case is that my LBS is a newer shop and never got authorized by Shimano. They've submitted their paperwork and now they're just waiting to get approved. If this was my only bike I'd take it somewhere else- many shops are Shimano-authorized- but one of the owners is a friend of mine and I said I'd wait until they got authorized.

Hahahaha, i hate those things. I actually saw a pair of those mc-12's for sale in a shop once. I spotted that dog-bone profile pos in the case and couldn't help but laugh. Asked the sales person what he thought about them and he said they were decent mid-range stuff.. LOL

Left cranks are a dime a dozen, you'll need a puller but that may cost as much as the crank or more.
Your LBS will swap it quick and cheap and may even have a used one laying around.

Good luck..