View Single Post
Old 02-08-09, 03:39 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I chose to ride a trike after having several really painful crashes on a Linear long wheelbase recumbent. Three crashes in about 5,000 miles and two nasty hematomas on my hip were all I wanted to experience. The front wheel was lightly loaded and had a tendency to skid on wet corners. Even in the desert there were lots of them due to runoff from lawn irrigation.

I managed to flip one of my two trikes at fairly slow speeds doing donuts around my car while showing it to a long-time friend. I still haven't figured how it happened but it did turn turtle and I was upside down in and instant. Needles to day, he wasn't very anxious to try the trike himself. You soon learn to compensate and lean to counteract for the forces of a turn. I ride agressivly because it is fun and often do lift one wheel a little but in about 18,000 miles have never flipped it again. Just take it easy when you first get one and you will be having lots of fun in a short time.