bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Djudd
A heavy backpack, I think, does not approximate the ride of loaded panniers. I was a courier and have ridden a lot with loads on my back. Having the load on the bike is a unique feeling. If you haven't, you should try it. It is really quite efficient (though challenging).
peace
Panniers do kind of turn the sports car into a utility van. If you're used to leaning hard on turns with a messenger bag, for example, doing the same with panniers is probably a little disconcerting. A few things do help. One is simply to balance the panniers well, so that you have a roughly equal mass on each side. Another is to arrange it so the panniers aren't too far back on the rack, which reduces fish-tailing when you stand up to crank on hills. And it's also a good idea to remember that, when your panniers hold 100 research papers, a sack of carrots, a six pack of beer, a loaf of bread, twelve bananas, and a gallon of milk, it's not a good time to pretend you're in the Tour de France. At that point, regardless of your skills or your pedigree, you're a Fred, and proud of it.