View Single Post
Old 02-11-09, 03:46 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Without knowing your cycling inseam it is hard to answer your question. I'm 6'5" with a 37" inseam. I have a very good friend who is 1/2" taller but with a 39"-40" inseam. We ride completely different setups. So much so, that we can't ride each others bike. I can't reach the hoods of his and he has nowhere but out to go with his elbows on mine.

Rather than write the following out, this page at Colorado Cyclist does a decent job of describing the traditional measurements and some of the modern alternatives http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/ . Cannondale does a good job at building more traditional large/long cockpits. They suit me well and I own both a mountain(22") and road bike(63cm) from them, among others. Some will find that Specialized fits them. Personally, there cockpits are way too compact for me. If you're not comfortable going through this alone, look for a qualified, knowledgable and sympathetic fitter. Knowledgable, because not all are created equal and I went through years of improperly fit equipment by otherwise well meaning LBS staff before I learned what I fit me. Now adays people will tend toward shorter frames and worry most about top tupe length. One caution with this approach for the large rider is the shortage of stem choices beyond 130 or 140 in length. If you find a good shop that is willing to help you with the fit process, be prepared to spend some money with them for their knowledge, effort and time. Or look for other large riders in a local club, who may have parts to trade around in your fit efforts. Budget will play a big role in how you go about this. Do you have an idea of how much you are interested in spending?

For good advice start with answering:
Height
Weight
Cycling Inseam(floor to top of book pressed firmly upward in crotch)
Arm length
Intended Use: Road, Mountain, Touring, Commuting, etc.
Intensity: I want to ride hard, break a sweat and get fit but not hurt, enjoy the view
Budget

Last edited by bigfred; 02-11-09 at 03:51 PM.