View Single Post
Old 02-15-09, 01:37 AM
DerekVT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB height on a touring bike?

I've been building up an early 90's trek 520 to be my touring bike. it's been a winter project and coming along slowly, but i've finally got it mostly together. i've noticed that the BB height seems kind of ridiculously high. seat tube measures c-c something like 48 and top tube is 56. stand over is about perfect for me (i usually ride a 52), and length wise it is fine as well. i've got my seat post jacked up pretty high though and am rocking a nitto technomic stem. seems to fit fine, i'm just wondering why a touring bike would have a high BB?

i checked the trek website and all it gives is a 27.2cm bb to ground measurement, which doesn't mean a whole lot to me. i checked the bb drop on the surly long haul trucker and rivindelle atlantis and some others, and they seem to be a bit lower than comparable road/cross bikes.

i've heard a bit of arguing over center of gravity and how raising it can help with maneuverability, though i think loaded up, the CG would still be pretty low on this thing. i guess i'm just wondering if this is normal for a touring bike?