View Single Post
Old 02-16-09, 11:10 AM
fishmel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cherry Pie RR in OBRAland

First race of my first full season as a CAT 3. 52 miles ((2) 26mile laps) of a mainly flat to slightly rolling course with a pretty steep hill planted at the end of each lap. Half of each lap was into a really strong headwind, the other half was tail/cross wind.

Last year as a cat 4 I got antsy @ mile 13 the took off solo into the headwind with thoughts of glory. I lasted about an hour on my own before getting caught. Barley had enough gas at the end for an 17th place finish. Teammates tell me all the time to race smarter, and I try, but I get antsy.

This year I did really good for the first lap staying out of the wind in the top 20 spots. It was real herky-jerky the first 10 miles or so with a large amount of speed up, slow down crap. Couple guys stopped paying attention, touched and went down. I came skidding to a near stop just before riding into the whole mess, was able to find a clear path, and sprint to latch back on to the main pack.

2nd lap starts into the mighty headwind, and I find myself kinda off the front with nobody chasing. Oh what the hell, I put my head down and keep cranking. Nice size gap opens, then finally 3 guys bridge and away we go. Well the peleton must not have liked the make up of our little group, and brought us back in after about 10 mins or so.

Instead of just sitting in and waiting for the final sprint up the finish hill like I should have, I tried repeatively to attack and get a break going. I burned matches like I owned the match factory. Finally I calmed down with @ 8 miles to go, rested in the top 10 and waited for the finish. We hit the first hill, I went VO2, when I looked back the group was decimated. Hit the finish hill, passed a few more guys, but couldn't bring back the leaders. Placed 6th or 7th, still waiting on the final results.

Overall glad to start racing again, and glad that winter training has kept me from being pack fodder. Now if I could just smarten up.