View Single Post
Old 02-17-09, 02:54 PM
eloist2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
Wow...just Wow. This April here in Nashville, Tn, USA there's a local bike club sponsoring the first of what will be a yearly event a/t local auto race track. 80 laps and each team must have 3 women, 46x18 gearing, freewheel, platforms, straight or drop hbs...no bullhorns, frt and rr brakes, 2 bikes and a limit of 10 riders. Should prove to be interesting as there's not alot of singlespeed experience within the club. This is my first visit to the 'Track' section and I find this gem of a thread. I'm an old 'dumster diver' from way back and was just drooling over some of those old, gunked-up track bikes. Man, what a find.

It'd be an honor to get a couple of those old frames and bring them back to life. We have access to a sandblaster/powdercoating guy here locally who loves doing up our projects and always gives us good prices. He gives us a heads-up when he's got a bunch of stuff in the same color and lets us put our stuff in w/t auto frames, fenders, doors etc. That's his bread and butter. I've done 2 so far and my friend has done 3.

Currently, I'm reading a book on the life of Marshall 'Major' Taylor and there are several photos of his bikes. Funny how this was in 1895-1910 and the geometry hasn't changed very much for track bikes. Anyway would like to do one up w/a red head tube, tape and rims w/black frame, saddle, spokes, hubs, pedals, calipers, levers and tires w/red stripes. That was his look. Anyway, good on ya, mate! Congrats on the find.
i'm in Nashville too, any more info on this event?