Old 02-18-09, 10:52 PM
dlester

Bikes: Trek Portland/Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo/LeMond Versailles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unusual Automobile Encounter

On my commute home this evening I had what I can only really describe as a nearly horrible incident with a car. I see all kinds of people posting about having cars turn in front of them, pass too closely, etc. This was nothing like that.

I had a car in front of me at an intersection. I was behind what I believed to be a reasonable distance (though I am probably going to re-evaluate that now). For some inexplicable reason this individual decided to stick the car in reverse and back up. I still have one foot clipped in, one foot on the ground, and then I just reacted and dove off to the side. I got out of the way, my MTB went under her car. She stopped just shy of where her rear wheel was going to start munching my front tire.

I got up, pulled my bike out from under her car, she looked at me in her rear view mirror, and drove off without a word.

Luckily my bike and I are just fine. The MTB already has some scrapes from other off-road tumbles so a few more scratches really aren't going to hurt it. I have a few minor bumps and abrasions on my right arm and leg, but nothing earth shattering.

I actually feel quite lucky, though I found it awfully rude that she didn't even feel compelled to roll down her window and ask if I was ok.