Old 02-19-09, 12:47 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MUP-dangerous!

Well after 3years or so travelling pretty much every working day on the MUP/bike path I finally had my crash and fairly impressive it was too.

Near the end of the track is a sharp decent that goes around blind corner that leads up to a quite steep hill, sort of like a dipper track on a rollercoaster. So when coming down I usually cross over to the inside of the bend as 99% of the time people bombing up from the opposite hill need the outside lane to stop them going over the edge of the drop. It is a deceptively sharp corner.

I'd had a bad day, was tired and admittedly drifted off, coming around the corner I was confronted by a 16ish year old coming at speed in the middle of the path heading at a angle straight at me. He seemed to be struggling to even apply the brake. So I went to go around him and almost made it but ran out of track and plunged a good 15 feet off the edge down a bank through bushes and branches sliding on my back still holding my bike! (thank god I had my backpack on).

I looked to see this lad staring in horror at me, I shouted up at him "How spectacular was that!?!" I dragged myself up and he was still in a state of shock and could only mutter, "it's that blind corner". I said look no harm done I'm fine your fine, we live and learn.

Obviously after the adrenalin wore off things felt slightly different.... Luckly it's mainly muscle strains and I'm just a bit sore.

Just a reminder MUP's can be dangerous so don't drift off, stay alert like you would on the road. It was mostly my inattention that caused the crash anyhow.