bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
A Heckler can take a whole lot more abuse than you're aware of, I guess...a 36 is a great fork for it if you're going to be using it for that style of riding. There's a local boy who has been using his for light FR stuff for quite a long time now with a big 'ol fork and it's been a jewel. Regarding DHX...I just start rattling off my preferred build. I didn't even look to see what fork you're running...nor do I care. I'm just happy to see more support for the Heckler. As long as people are buying them, they'll keep making them, then when I can afford one...they'll still be in production for me.
Have three Hecklers, was even a dealer in 07 (why I have the third, useful stock I could take with me), in any case am pretty aware of what the Heckler is about. I use the Nomad for the light FR kinda riding, used it a lot more when I lived up in the Sierras, just not as much here in the bay area so built the Heckler with a lighter build in mind (but plenty capable). Also, it feels good with the 140, 160 might be too slacked out for my taste.

Originally Posted by born2bahick
How much taller is the 650 setup with your tires than an average 26 in set up? Might be something to think about on the Blur.
A 650b rim is basically 25mm larger in diameter (559 vs 584), so depends on what tires you run. There wasn't a huge difference between my Fat Albert 2.4s on the 26" wheels and the NeoMoto 2.3 on the 650b's, but I didn't measure, see the pic below; I'd say less than the inch difference I expected, maybe 3/4".

For the sake of those who want to try it...can you post closeup pic's of the chainstays, seatstays, and seat tube clearance?
Photo of the old and new wheel and the new wheel in the frame attached.

Originally Posted by born2bahick
That's what I'm talking about, I might want to build a 650Buelur
I don't think any of the VPP bikes from SC have been good candidates for a rear 650b wheel, but didn't really look into them as the Nomad is definitely too tight now with a fat 26".

If my math is correct we are running about 120mm of travel and could probably get about 130mm by reducing the height of the internal travel-limiting spacer.

Is this a problem for you (OP) as well?
I'd seen some original reports of the current Heckler needing this, including having seen this article, but several others have reported no issues. With the spring off and no air in the shock, no contact at all. I think someone may have tried with the previous generation of Heckler, IDK, I might get around to seeing if it'll fit in there one of these days. OTOH didn't get a chance to ride today, will find out tomorrow how it rides and what issues there might be.

ps Didn't really look at that photo of the tire in the frame; the clearance is huge, doesn't show well..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1000776(1).jpg (43.3 KB, 4 views)
P1000773(1).jpg (51.0 KB, 7 views)
P1000769(1).jpg (63.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by bikinfool; 02-20-09 at 01:40 AM.