View Single Post
Old 02-22-09, 05:23 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I don't see widespread use of animals in a city setting. Perhaps for the farmers bringing food in from the country. Mass transit, walking and bicycles make the most sense for short distance trips. But it is going to be a long hard transition.

I read an article a while back that was in an archive somewhere about the major issue of people abandoning dead horses on the streets of NYC and the cost to the taxpayers. It was a sizable problem not to mention a public health nightmare. Then there was the issues of how to dispose of the carcasses. At one point IIRC they were dumping them in the Hudson River, but that was causing problems too, when they floated back in on the tide.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon