Old 02-23-09, 01:52 PM
ldio
somewhat of a newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70's Raleigh Grand Prix

I was just given a Raleigh Grand Prix. I am having trouble finding the year. The serial number is 27L5141 and the downtube says it was manufactured in Holland.
This will be my first bike rebuild and am a little clueless on how to find some of the components that I need. I need a new wheelset and crank. The bottom bracket is still in place, but I will probably replace that as well. From what I have been reading, it is tough to find the correct bottom bracket for these bikes as the threading and spacing differs from most other bikes. The frame looks to be in good shape, though the fork may be slightly bent, though my eyes could just be playing tricks on me. Even so, I think that I could bend it back if it is.
The bike still has the original Weinmann center pull brakes and they appear to be in great shape. The rear derailleur is a Shimano Altus Et it, seems fairly old, but I do not believe that it was the orginal. The front derailleur is a Suntour Spirit. Both seem to be in great shape.

I am not trying to spend too much money on this project, though I would like to end up with a good daily commuter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea where to start. Thanks.