Old 02-24-09, 06:52 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've heard you shouldn't hook a trailer to a carbon frame. I don't know exactly why, I'm just repeating what others have said.

Other than that, you can pull a trailer with most any bike. However, many people, myself included, who have toured both ways - with panniers and pulling a trailer - clearly prefer the panniers. If I was serious about touring, I'd buy a touring bike (and panniers) and use it for other riding. The LHT is an excellent tourer (it's what I have) but there are many others. If I wasn't that into touring and really wanted a different type of bike for other things, I'd consider buying a different bike and pulling a trailer when I wanted to tour. My Bob trailer isn't that bad, I just prefer panniers.

I now stick to panniers for touring on roads. I use the trailer for shopping, and touring with my mountain bike on trails and dirt roads. But if for some reason I had to pull it on a road tour, I wouldn't complain too much.

Does this help at all?