View Single Post
Old 02-24-09, 07:44 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The current crop of Triples from Shimano use a medium cage (75mm) RD. You need a long cage derailluer (90mm) with the 11-34t cassette if you are using a triple but, a medium cage might work on a double front chain ring (need to try). If you have a short cage (60mm) you will not be able to use it for sure. If you are lucky you might be able to find an old 105 triple long cage RD but if you can't the XT RD will work very well with the STI shifters. I swapped out the setup for my neighbor and she has been pleased with the results.
I am running a Campy setup on my bike with a triple, long cage RD (centaur), and an 11-34t SRAM cassette on an after market Shimano cassette hub body. I am using Centaur 10spd ergo shifters with the 9spd cassette and because the spacing is so close I have very smooth shifting. This is for a touring setup that I am going to use for some extended trips. Oh yes, you will need a chain.