Old 02-24-09, 08:03 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
Hi

So I've recently joined a team and plan to do my first crit in a month or so. I am also about to join a gym more for showering after training rides but I figured I'd do some lifting as well. I have a background in weightlifting before cycling but I have no desire to regain 20 or 30 pounds of muscle. To maintain some shape I was thinking of doing deadlifts, standing barbell rows, standing shoulder press and bench press a few times per week. The goal is to maximize caloric burn with the compound nature of the lifts.

Thoughts?

Rob
I would do high rep cleans with lighter weight. Try to do a few sets of 40-60 reps with 35-50 pounds or more if you are strong. Doing them as fast as you can without straining anything. These will not build bulky muscle but endurance and overall core strength and power. These things built overall core strength like nothing I know. In fact, done properly they are so intense that rarely will you see people doing them. They work most of your body muscles at the same time. Do some squats and leg exercises a couple of sets of pullups and pushups and some kind of back exercise. Like on a pullover machine. Don't do any isolation lifts for arms. Don't do multiple sets of upper body. Just one easy set of three or four upper body exercises. Do a lot of abdominal stuff.

In fact, if it was me I would only do the high rep cleans, high rep squats or leg presses and abdominal stuff. But try to use the heaviest weight that you can on the legs to build power.

Last edited by Hezz; 02-24-09 at 08:11 PM.