View Single Post
Old 02-25-09, 12:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
no, I hate to blame cyclists for accidents. And I know what you are talking about as far as A&S, I was recently blamed for leading a motorist into violating my right of way. Still trying to figure that one out.

However, I can see this scenario played out at the street corner near my work any time I want. I'll go out and get a cup of coffee tomorrow and tell you how long it takes before this happens. The two-way, two lane road by my work goes downhill to a traffic light controlled intersection with a two lane one-way street. Most of the traffic going by my work turns right. Most of the motorists fail to signal. Cyclists come down this road at a high rate of speed and most go straight. They pass the cars to the right and near collisions are frequent.

The requirement to keep as far to the right as practicable is a complicating factor here. I assume some similar language is present in the CA. law regarding bicycles. These laws don't generally seem to have been written with the knowledge that a cyclist might be going faster than the motorized traffic.