View Single Post
Old 02-26-09, 09:14 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
1st ride in 2 weeks - what a mistake

I've been battling an acute case of bronchitis the last two weeks. Did go to see the family physician and he says, just rest and let it run its course. For a while I was running a fever and got winded walking up two flights of stairs. So, riding has been out of the question. Well, yesterday I was feeling pretty good, the sun was shining, and it was actually above freezing. So, I thought I'd take just a short easy spin along the flat bike path for 8 to 10 miles - nothing strenuous - just needed to get out. What a mistake. About six miles into the ride I get a coughing attack that comes on so sudden and with such force that I actually get light headed, lose my balance and collapse along the side of the path. Fortunately, the bike didn't get more than scuffed up tape on the handle bars and I only got a few small bruises. My ego probably suffered more than anything else. I felt like such a fool. I guess it will be yet a few more days before I can get back on the roads. How do you all judge when you're "well" enough to get back on the bike? It seems when I was younger a bout of bronchitis would never have lasted this long.